Mencap is the leading UK charity for people with a learning disability and their families. Everything we do is about valuing and supporting people with a learning disability, and their families and carers. Mencap works to gain support, education, housing, jobs, and recreational opportunities for people with learning disabilities.
Community Support Services
We have been providing a high quality service to adults with learning disabilities in Lambeth and Southwark for over 20 years. We support over 100 people in the community, living independently or with their family or carers. We work with people who need support once a week through to those with intensive complex needs that require 24 hour support.
Shared Lives Activities
‘One size does not fit all’ Everyone is unique and that is at the core of Shared Lives Activities Scheme. We offer one to one tailor made courses where individuals learn at their own pace and develop their skills. Activity Providers varied talents enable us to offer an exciting creative menu of activities. We support service users to find the right Activity Provider match for them. All our courses are truly bespoke as you are at the centre of planning.
Carers’ Development Service
The Carers Development Service can provide the following types of support:
• Support carers to take part in the Lambeth Learning Disability Assembly and other forums where their voice can be heard
• A Carers’ Update about every six to eight weeks on issues important to carers
• Carers’ Forums to allow carers to make their views known and to be taken forward to relevant bodies and individuals.
These meetings will also provide an opportunity to receive and share information, and often to be able to talk to the people who make decisions.
Individual work with carers to provide information, help them to get services and offer general support. Attending and providing support at community care assessments and reviews and arranging and supporting carer’s assessments
The Carers Development Worker seeks to promote carer involvement and empowerment.
The project runs all kinds of leisure and sports activities:
- An Older Carers group: we run a monthly shopping and a monthly pub lunch group for elderly carers living in Lambeth
- A music group: this runs twice a month, and is led by a tutor from Morley College.
- An art workshop: this is a monthly Saturday workshop, with a tutor from Morley College.
- 25+ Club is an evening club for people aged over 25 which runs on the second and fourth Wednesday of every month. at Landmark Day Centre on Tulse Hill
- Sunday Lunch Club: a nice meal out in a different restaurant every month.
- Outings and Day Trips – seaside, theatres, historic houses, steam trains, fireworks, Christmas Lights, the list goes on.
Multi Activity Day Centre (MAC)
The Multi Activity Day Centre (MAC) is a place where users can enjoy activities they wish to do. The service user will lead the activity with staff support, in order to plan and achieve their goals.
The aims of this project are:
- To encourage service users to develop their skills.
- To encourage service users to make choices
- To enable service users to use their creativity and reach their potential
- To promote social skills.
- To encourage service users to develop communication skills
- In order to meet the above aims we have a maximum number of 10 to12 service users per day.
- We will provide a personal file where the service users can record their daily activities.
Support planning and brokerage
We offer individualised Support planning and brokerage for adults with learning disabilities and their family carers, including young people moving through the transition process.
Profound & multiple learning disability
The aim of this project is to tackle some of the barriers for meaningful activity that those with profound and multiple learning disabilities (PMLD) face. We provide the opportunity for enriching community based activities that are both therapeutic and developmental.
Get in touch with Lambeth Mencap
336 Brixton Road
020 8655 7711